Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Morris Louis

http://library.artstor.org/library/welcome.html#3|search|1|morris20louis20saf20gimel|Multiple20Collection20Search|||type3D3126kw3Dmorris20louis20saf20gimel26id3Dall26name3D

I chose Morris Louis' "Saf Gimmel", I really like this painting mostly because it reminds me of the Northern Lights. I love the color and the atmospheric quality. The way the colors blend and merge make the image appear to morph, as if the entire painting is slipping down the canvas. I found this browsing through the Guggenheim collection, and it just caught my eye, not because of any conceptual or deep intellectual interest, but purely because it was purely fun to look at. Sometimes I really like looking at art I know nothing about because you get to form your own narrative, or even no narrative at all, other than your immediate reaction to its the visual quality. It does not spark any particular emotion or revelation about the world, but captures my attention for a purely visual, aesthetic reason.

No comments: